“DETROIT -- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a warning Thursday about using a common paint-stripping chemical to refinish bathtubs after tying it to 13 deaths in 10 states.
The CDC said the alert was based on research that began at Michigan State University. Scientists found 13 deaths between 2000 and 2011 of workers using products containing methylene chloride to strip paint from residential bathtubs. Three of the deaths were in Michigan, and the remaining 10 were reported in nine other states.
Methylene chloride is widely used as a degreaser and paint remover in industrial and home-improvement products.”-(Credit: HuffPost )
Wait….so you’re telling me that paint thinner isn’t good for you? You sure? You shouldn’t inhale it or come in contact with it? Since when? Is this a new development? Seems out there to me….. Why is this news? I’m very confused here. You are telling people to be careful around paint thinner because it can cause harm or death….ummm no shit? I’m really not trying to be a dick and I’m not trying to make fun of the dead but I think it’s common knowledge that you shouldn’t come in contact with paint thinner. You know what I mean? How do you not know that something like that could harm you? It’s a chemical that is used to strip paint. It’s obviously toxic. Maybe it’s just me but I think I would make sure everything was okay before I sit in a tub of chemicals. I’m not saying these people deserved to die but come on. It’s paint remover. It’s highly toxic. Take some precautions here. There is a reason that it removes paint. Come on people. Use your heads. Also, just going off of assumptions here, but wouldn’t these people get some sort of symptoms before just dropping dead? Maybe they got light headed? Maybe they got headaches? Maybe they started coughing blood? Maybe their insides started to itch? I’m not a doctor but I think it’s safe to say that all these are pretty good indicators that you have come in contact with something toxic and you should seek medical attention fairly quickly. Just saying. On any account it seems like a shitty way to go. You know….death by paint remover. Maybe it’s just me….but I think I’d rather spend time in Texas than dying via paint thinner. Happy Friday everyone!
P.S. Do you think that Rubinoff counts as paint thinner? Because I used to drink that shit on the reg up at UMass…….Just saying…..